Lichte Porzellan (GmbH)
Sonneberger-Straße, Lichte, Thuringia
Hersteller & Malerei / Manufacturer & Decorator
Founded in 1822 by Johann Heinrich Leder. In 1824 the business was inherited by cousins, Wilhelm & Heinrich Liebmann, with Wilhelm buying out Heinrich's shares in 1830. The year 1840 saw the business purchased by the Heubach brothers, Georg Christophe and Philipp Jakob. In 1846, Christoph's son Anton took over Christoph's shares. In turn, in 1868, Philipp's son, Louis took over Philipp's shares. Anton left the company, leaving Louis with sole ownership. Louis then appointed his three eldest sons Philipp, Hermann and Ottokar. Philipp and Ottokar Heubach took over the factory from their father in 1887. Both Philipp and Ottokar died in 1919 and Eduard Heubach, Hermann's son, who had been with the company since 1908, joined the board of directors. In 1910 they started to make bisque doll heads as well as beer steins. In 1919 the expanding firm purchased Porzellanfabrik Ernst Bohne und Söhne of Rudolstadt. In 1937 the company went bankrupt. It was saved by Otto Friedrich III, Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen but in 1948 East Germany nationalized it. After the reunification of Germany, the factory was returned to the estate of Ysenburg and Büdingen due to the then recent death of Otto Friedrich III. In 1994 it was taken over by former employees.
References: Lichte 1. Lichte 2. Lichte 3.