Johann Peter Thewalt / Johann Peter Thewalt Inhaber Carl Thewalt (Witwe)
Bergstraße 1a Höhr, Hesse-Nassau, Prussia. (now Höhr-Grenzhausen, Rhineland Palatinate).
Steinzeugwarenfabrik / Stoneware manufacturer
The company was founded around 1850/52. During the late 19th century, it had a good working relationship with the J.W. Remy company, due to the fact that Carl Thewalt
was married to Anna, the daughter of Johann Wilhelm Remy. There was considerable cross trading, with the companies exchanging moulds, production capacity and labour. This lead to many similarities in their product ranges.
Johann Peter (b.14/10/1822 - d.21/9/1887) was married to Katharina Gerz (b.6/4/1828 - d.11/11/1865). He was succeeded by his son Carl Wilhelm (b.12/1/1864 - d.18/2/1923 and then by Carl's widow, Anna née Remy (b.14/1/1867). Carl and Anna's son, Hubert Albert (b.8/2/1894 - 30/10/1941) worked in the factory, but lived elsewhere, at Mittelstraße 38. Presumably upon the death of Anna circa 1930, Hubert closed down the factory, but moved into the family home, now called Bergstraße 3, where he lived as a merchant until around 1936.
The following designers created the pottery for Johann Peter Thewalt: Alfred Kamp
Reference PT Mark Westerwald Adressbuch