Title
Home Navigation About us Navigation Stein Marks Navigation Logo identification Navigation By Location Navigation By Category Navigation Links / Unidentified marks

Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G. / (V.E.B.) Sachsenglas (A.G.)(G.m.b.H)
Pillnitzerstraße, Radeberg, Ottendorf-Okrilla, Chemnitz, Saxony
Preßglaswerke / Press glass factory 
Max Hirsch established the Vereinigte Radeburger Glashütten A.G. in 1879, in Radeburg nr. Dresden and manufactured hollow and press glass with presses imported from the USA. In 1886 he merged with Sächsischen Glasfabrik and assumed its name. Max Hirsch was the brother-in-law of August Walther. On Max’s suggestion, August Walther established in 1888, "August Walther and Söhne”, 3 miles down the road at Ottendorf-Okrilla. In 1924, Walter Hirsch (b.1880-d.1966), the youngest son of Wilhelm Hirsch, who was on the board of directors, of Sächsischen Glasfabrik, went into partnership with the Würzburg firm of Franz Ruckert and others, to form the new company of Radeberger BierglasmalereiDuring 1929 - 1932, after the financial crash the Walther family lost its stock majority, through poor management of their company and so August Walther & Söhne A.G. Ottendorf-Okrilla merged with Sächsischen Glasfabrik A.G. Radeberg, to form Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A.G. Sitz Radeberg and production restarted.

By 1937 the company headquarters had moved to Ottendorf-Okrilla, and the workforce had increased from 776 to 910. They were best known for their superb range of Art Deco centrepieces, figurines, bowls and vases, made during the 1930's and 40's. They also produced a range of Cloud Glass called 'Oralit'. The company was renamed Sachsenglas A.G. Ottendorf-Okrilla in 1940. Hugo Walther retired in 1941. The Radeburg factory closed in 1944. Like many East German businesses, the company was nationalised in 1946, and became VEB Sachsenglas. The company was then re-privatised in 1990, becoming Sachsenglas G.m.b.H. Whilst the Ottendorf-Okrilla factory was closed in 1992, the company is still in business today with its H.Q. in Chemnitz.. "Walther-Glas” in Bad Driburg produces pressed domestic and giftware, as well as pressed glass articles for the car industry. 
References: Fhw-online  20thcenturyglass  Glas-musterbuch  Glas-Musterbuch 2  Black Poppy  Pressglas-Pavillon  Sachsenglas  Wikipedia  
Saxony Address books


R. Wagner 11-4-17-1
Identifier Crown with S & G inset on featured stein,
 first registered 1897.
 
Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G 11-6-5-1
Sachsenglas moulded mark, with etched 
"Radeberger Bierglasmalerei" on stein, advertising "Actien Brauverein zu Plauen i.V".



R. Wagner 2
Sachsenglas stein, dated 1897 onward, specially manufactured for R. Wagner with his own mark,
so as to install his own lids.


Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G. / (V.E.B.) Sachsenglas (A.G.)(G.m.b.H) 11-4-30-1
Catalogue cover of 1936


R. Wagner 3
Pressed glass stein made specifically for the pewterer
R. Wagner of the town of Mettlach.

Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G. / Sachsenglas G.m.b.H 11-4-19-1

Share certificate of 100 Reichsmarks,
issued on the 1st January 1934, for Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G.

Sächsische Glasfabrik August Walther & Söhne A. G. / (V.E.B.) Sachsenglas (A.G.)(G.m.b.H) 11-4-30-2
Catalogue of 1935

  If you require an identification and / or a valuation, click HERE. 
● For any other reason, e-mail the author
  Stein Marks © 2009 - 2017. Copyright. All rights reserved. ● 


Web site created and maintained using   link to web4work