Porzellan- und Glasmalerei Karl Rau
Schleißheimerstraße 185, (and Siebertstraße 7), Munich 13, Bavaria.
Porzellan- und Glasmalerei / Porcelain & Glass Decorators.
In 1857, Gustav Schmieger founded a fine glass decorating company, known as Schmieger & Söhne at Hauptstraße, Schönfeld bei Karlsbad, Bohemia, Austro-Hungarian Empire, (now Krásno, near Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic). Gustav was succeeded by his son Josef I and his grandson Josef II. However by 1922 the company was owned by Karl Rau. He was still listed as owner in 1941. After the end of W.W.II, German nationals were deported from Czechoslovakia with what possessions they could carry and having had their businesses confiscated. It is therefore assumed that Karl Rau was one of these refugees, and in 1946 he either purchased the business, or maybe just rented the premises, of Michael Bergmann. He continued to use the founding date of Schmieger & Söhne, as his own. In 1957 the company was listed at two addresses: Karl Rau at Schleißheimerstraße 185 and Karl Rau Jnr. at Siebertstraße 7, an upmarket residential area, across the river Isar. There is no currently known record of when the company ceased trading.
Purchased stein bodies from: Porzellanfabrik Weiden Gebrüder Bauscher
So called reproduction of a Regimental stein, featuring King Ludwig II of Bavaria.
Basemarks of the featured repro. stein above
This centennial piece uses founding date of Schmieger & Söhne in 1857. This ink stamped mark on a reproduction Regimental, is therefore dated to 1957.
Artist's signature on a hand painted stein. N.B. The same address as Michael Bergmann
Above are two examples of the mark of Schmieger & Söhne, which show the founding date of 1857.
Ink stamped mark
Signature on stein commemorating F V D Gesellschaft der freien Vogtländer München 1955/57
Ink stamp on Marzi & Remy #2029.
Ink stamp with another impressed Marzi & Remy mark.
Porcelain stein made by Porzellanfabrik Weiden Gebrüder Bauscher with a Defregger transfer and a Frauenkirche twin tower thumbpull.
From the featured stein above, the Bauscher - Weiden mark, dated 1920 -1948, has been blocked out and another, Karl Rau "K.R." has been added. The "Germany U.S. Zone" dates this stein to 1945 - 1949.
Another stein with a Defregger transfer and a Frauenkirche twin tower thumbpull. The Bauscher - Weiden mark, dated 1920 -1948, has been blocked out and another Munchner Kindl mark c/w "K.R." for Karl Rau, has been added. The "Germany U.S. Zone" dates this stein to 1945 - 1949.