Villeroy & Boch - Schramberg / (SMF) Schramberger Majolikafabrik (G.m.b.H.) (A. Zeller)
Schramberg, Württemberg (now Baden-Württemberg)
Hersteller / Manufacturer.
The pottery was originally founded by Isidor Faist in 1820. Situated in the Schloß Hohenschramberg, the pottery prospered. In 1829 the Baron Ferdinand von Uechtritz joined as a partner, allowing Faist to expand, which included building a new factory behind the Schloß. In the 1860's he employed approx 100 workers, together with many outworkers employed as decorators. In May 1883, he sold the whole concern to Villeroy & Boch. When the railway came to Schramberg, parts of the factory were demolished, so in 1912, Villeroy & Boch sold the business to Moritz & Leopold Meyer, which is when it became Schramberger Majolikafabrik; becoming a G.m.b.H in 1918. Moritz's son, Peter Meyer was born in 1922. The Meyer brothers were forced to sell the company in 1938, leaving Germany for the U.K. With the new owner in place, the company's new name became Schramberger Majolikafabrik - A. Zeller. Peter Meyer returned in 1949, to reclaim his family's company. He eventually became sole proprietor in 1970, but subsequently died in 1980. Without Peter, the company lost direction and finally ceased production in 1988. The family then, in 1990, converted the remaining buildings into a group of industrial units under the name, Schramberger Majolika Firmenpark.
Reference: Porcelain Marks & More Wikipedia
R/H Side, 1L. "Ear of Corn" (similar to #ECS266) Made in earthenware with a yellow coloured interior. Appears to be identical to example by Steingutfabrik Hornberg, A.G,
Villeroy & Boch - Schramberg, dated 1883 - 1912. Lid has glass prism insert. This range has also been seen with the Villeroy & Boch, Mercury mark of Dresden.
Ink stamp on above stein when under the ownership of Villeroy & Boch, 1883 - 1912.
N.B. The "Kirmes"? mark is identical to the example shown above, but this time with the Villeroy & Boch Mercury mark. "Kirmes" is possibly the decoration name.
VB/S inside circle, together with #78. Dec.1 Dated between 1883 and 1912.
Earthenware stein, with stencilled decoration. Schramberger Majolikafabrik GmbH. post 1918.
Post 1918 ink stamp on base of above stein, indicating ownership by Schramberger Majolikafabrik GmbH. Decoration name: Bayern.
This stein, dated circa 1881/83, is extremely similar to the stein produced by Villeroy & Boch - Wallerfangen ×
L/H Side, 1L. "Ear of Corn" (similar to #ECS266) Made in earthenware with a yellow coloured interior. Appears to be identical to example by Steingutfabrik Hornberg, A.G,
Villeroy & Boch - Schramberg, dated 1883 - 1912.
Ink stamp on above stein when under the ownership of Villeroy & Boch, 1883 - 1912. Decoration name: Schwarzwald.
This Schramberg mark, on the base of the featured stein on the left, has its origins in the Royal coat of arms of Württemberg