Tressemanes & Vogt
Montjovis district, Limoges, Limousin, France
Hersteller / Manufacturer
John Vogt (1815-1906) was born in Germany to a family of porcelain and glass retailers. In 1840 he opened an import house in New York, then in the 1850's an office in Limoges where he began decorating porcelain for export. His first son Charles Vogt (d1886) and his nephew Frederic Dose (d1908) joined the New York company in 1865 and traded as Vogt & Dose, which also had a decorating studio in New York. Dose took over in 1886 then was succeeded by John Vogt's second son, Gustave, whose son Charly in turn managed the New York operations. This closed in 1931.
Meanwhile, Gustave Vogt (1849-1937), had already taken over the Limoges branch by 1870 and became partners with Emilien Tressemanes in the early 1880's. In 1891 they purchased two small porcelain factories, in the suburb of Montjovis, Limoges. As Tressemanes & Vogt, they made high quality whiteware for export to the USA; distributed no doubt, through their New York office. Tressemann retired in 1907 and Gustave Vogt became sole owner and changed the name to Porcelaine Gustave Vogt. In 1919 Martial Raynaud bought the company and continued using the T&V mark as well as his own Raynaud mark. Raynaud porcelain remains in business today.
References: e-Limoges Wikipedia Porcelaine de Limoges Devinecorp