Mittelstraße 7 & 10, Höhr. Hesse-Nassau, Prussia. (now Höhr-Grenzhausen, Rhineland Palatinate).
Steinzeugfabrik / Stoneware manufacturer
Johann Wilhelm Remy, born Höhr in 26th February 1833, was from a long line of pottery manufacturers in the area. He founded his company at Mittelstrasse 7, in 1860, producing hand-turned salt glazed designs, in a wood-fired kiln which was later converted to coal. Artistic design training received by both sons August Wilhelm and Franz Jakob, at the beginning of the Königliche Fachschule Höhr in the early 1880s, taught new design and manufacturing techniques. Early designs were in the Historismus style but later focused on modern (for those days) life which included many tavern scenes depicted by several of the popular artists of the period.
Towards the end of the nineteenth century, J.W. Remy formed an alliance with his son-in-law Karl Thewalt to build a gas-fired round kiln on the Thewalt property, the actual location of which is not currently known. The products from this kiln utilized a then new process of glaze slip being applied to the stein prior to firing. The color of the fired clay was ivory leading to the name of Ivory Stoneware, Elfenbeinsteinzeug. Between 1903 & 1909 they were influenced by the Jugendstil styles of Henry Van der Velde, Peter Behrens, Karl Görig & Albin Muller. It should be noted that although designs were purchased, no stein was ever signed by these designers. In 1909, at the Wiesbaden Exhibition, Remy launched their famous range of etched "Reetmachte" steins which most collectors know today.
It is assumed that August & Franz were actually running the company as partners when J.W.Remy died, aged 78 in 1911, with Franz focusing on the business and August, on design. Following both their unexpected deaths in 1928 without children, the factory was taken over in 1929 by nephew, Robert Kessler, and his brothers August and Karl. During this period the company struggled to survive and introduced decorated wares with high color until W.W.II during which the factory produced only utilitarian wares. During the late 1940s the company reactivated many of the old moulds and began to manufacture many old designs allowing production to expand, requiring some 35 employees. However when in 1959 & in 1965 respectively, both Karl & August Kessler passed away, the business folded, because none of the owner's children wanted to continue the business, plus the factory was in the centre of Höhr, preventing any possibility of expansion of the facility. The company was therefore dissolved in 1966 and the buildings were soon demolished to allow for expansion of the downtown street system.
N.B. J.W.Remy was the brother of Simon Peter Remy of Marzi & Remy. Karl Thewalt was the son of Johann Peter Thewalt, the owner of the factory and logo JPT, founded in 1852.
Reference: Lyn Ayres Character Steins Capacity Marks Twisted Vine Handles Westerwald Adressbuch Character Steins Catalogue Mysteincollection
Reference: Remy Family 1, Remy Family 2.