Villeroy & Boch - Schramberg / (SMF) Schramberger Majolikafabrik (G.m.b.H.) (A. Zeller)
Schramberg, Württemberg (now Baden-Württemberg)
Hersteller / Manufacturer.
The pottery was originally founded by Isidor Faist in 1820. Situated in the Schloß Hohenschramberg, the pottery prospered. In 1829 the Baron Ferdinand von Uechtritz joined as a partner, allowing Faist to expand, which included building a new factory behind the Schloß. In the 1860's he employed approx 100 workers, together with many outworkers employed as decorators. In 1883, he sold the whole concern to Villeroy & Boch. When the railway came to Schramberg, parts of the factory were demolished, so in 1912, Villeroy & Boch sold the business to Moritz & Leopold Meyer, which is when it became Schramberger Majolikafabrik; becoming a G.m.b.H in 1918. Moritz's son, Peter Meyer was born in 1922. The Meyer brothers were forced to sell the company in 1938, leaving Germany for the U.K. With the new owner in place, the company's new name became Schramberger Majolikafabrik - A. Zeller. Peter Meyer returned in 1949, to reclaim his family's company. He eventually became sole proprietor in 1970, but subsequently died in 1980. Without Peter, the company lost direction and finally closed in 1989.
Reference: Porcelain Marks & More Wikipedia