Martin Pauson K.G. (Inhaber Martin Pauson und Hugo Aufseesser) / Fritz Haertle vormals Martin Pauson
Neuhauserstraße 5, then 9, Munich. Bavaria.
Porzellan- Fayance - und Glaswarenhandlung mit Porzellanmalerei und Zinngießerei / Porcelain, faiance & glass wholesaler with own porcelain decoration and pewter foundry.
Martin Pauson was born on 8 June 1861 in Redwitz an der Rodach, Bavaria. He arrived in Munich on the 1st April 1880, to seek his fortune, and subsequently opened his business on 5 November 1884, at Neuhauserstraße 5, as a wholesaler and retailer of kitchenware, dinnerware and other household products. Beer steins were an important part of his operation by 1888. The 3rd International Art Exposition was held that year in Munich. The illustrated catalogue for the exhibition included a Pauson advertisement in the Advertisement Artwork section. (See picture, top left)
Martin Pauson married Ida Aufseesser (born 22 Sept. 1865 in Hassfurt), on 21 May 1888. Martin and Ida had one child, a daughter named Cornelia, (b. 25 Oct. 1893 - d.1976) but throughout her life she went by the name of Nellie (equally spelt Nelly). The business moved from Neuhauserstraße 5, to very grandiose, purpose built, premises at Neuhauserstraße 9, on the 5th July 1899. However Neuhauserstraße 5 was still in operation during 1900. Martin had no sons, therefore in 1906 he appointed his wife’s younger brother, Hugo Aufseesser (b.2nd Mar.1872) as a partner in his company. In 1907 Hugo married Paula Mosbacher (b. 4 Jan. 1888-d.1972)
They had two children, Kurt Moses (b.1912) and Herta (b.1914)
When Martin Pauson died, aged 73, on the 21 Oct. 1934, Hugo Aufseesser became the sole proprietor. After Martin Pauson's death, Hugo Aufseesser continued to operate the business through the initial years of Nazi rule. However, on 23 July 1938, the extended family was finally forced to sell. A book entitled Munich Aryanized – Disenfranchisement and Expropriation of the Jews in the Nazi Era, shows an advertisement from a German newspaper dated 25 July 1938. It says that, as of that date, the firm of Martin Pauson was now German and operated by Fritz Haertle, who continued to trade from Neuhauserstraße 9. Records show that Nellie Mosbacher and Ida Pauson sold parcels of land / property to Fritz and Margarete Haertle. It is presumed that the trading company of Martin Pauson K.G. was sold at the same time by Hugo Aufseesser. Allied bombing destroyed the site of Pauson's shop in early 1945 so the hope of finding any original documentation has gone. The post-war reconstruction, was in the modern post war style and lacks any sense of grandeur that Pauson's architect had designed in.
Hugo Aufseesser departed Germany, with his wife Paula, in March 1939 to join their daughter Herta and her husband David Daube and grandson Jonathan, in Cambridge England. A newspaper published by the Association of Jewish Refugees in Great Britain and dated February 1952, announced his forthcoming 80th birthday on March 2, 1952, and that "His numerous friends, both in Cambridge and in London, wish him many more years of unchanged vigour and good health.” He eventually died on the 1st December 1959, aged 88. In the meantime Ida Pauson, had gone to live with her younger sister, Clothilde Neuburger née Aufseesser. On the 18th June 1942 both women were deported to Theresienstadt concentration camp, where they both died. However, Nellie with both her husband, Dr. Kurt Mosbacher, and daughter Hannelore aka Hanni, managed to escape eventually to the United States.
As of the 20th August 1997, there was a Michael Berz, Fritz Haertle G.m.b.H & Co. K.G. listed at Haertle Passage (now called Kult Passage), Neuhauserstraße 15, opposite Michaelskirche. The company subsequently moved to Haertle Passage Residenzstraße 3 and is trading under the name of Haertle Tischkultur. (Haertle Tableware).
Steins designed by: Franz Ringer
Purchased stein bodies from: Villeroy & Boch - Mettlach, Merkelbach & Wick, C.G. Schierholz, Hauber & Reuther, Marzi & Remy,
Meringer Kunsttöpferei - Johann Lipp. C.M. Hutschenreuter
Reference: Character Steins Hugo Aufseesser Pg.7 Hugo Aufseesser Pg.9 Hindenburg Digital Bibliothek John Strassberger
Advertisement from the catalogue of Munich's 3rd International Art Exposition, dated June 1888.
Translation: "Our own pewter foundry. Our own art studio. Largest stock and widest selection of products of the glass, porcelain & ceramic industries. Dear visitors to Munich, allow me to draw particular attention to my establishment which has the largest possible selection of objects for memories of Munich: Beer steins and glasses, vases, figurines, plates, cups, etc., with views of Munich and the highly popular Royal Bavarian castles, offered at very cheap prices. Particular specials: Beer steins and Munich Child characters with Bavaria lithophane. Beer steins with the Kgl. Hofbräuhaus, Munich Child and Bavaria (newly painted on the stein)".
N.B. Close enlargement PRIOR to opening another picture!
Münchner Kindl stein made by Schierholz in four different sizes. This example has also been seen with an attached wooden stein, which might or might not have been original equipment.
Lithophane forming the base of the featured Münchner Kindl stein above.
Basemark on featured Münchner Kindl stein above.
M. Pauson mark on a C.G. Schierholz stein
M. Pauson mark on a C.G. Schierholz barrel stein
In 1906, Emanuel von Seidl produced an octagonal stein design, of which the pressglass version was supplied by Brüder Thannhauser. Martin Pauson commissioned a similar design but with a decagonal pressglass stein with triangular facets, seen here. The flat Pauson lid, seen two below, is very similar to Seidl's design.
The moulded base mark in the featured decagonal stein, above.
The decagonal pewter lid, in this case advertising the "Cafe Rathaus", fitted to the featured pressglass stein above.
Touchmarks either side of lid shank.
Löwenbräu Brewery stein.
Touchmark on lid shank.
Ink stamp, in black, on stoneware stein
1/2 litre made by Merkelbach & Wick.
Löwenbräu München pewter lid.
Cast mark on the underside of the above lid.
Pauson "Oval" showing copyright.
Signature on stein made by Merkelbach & Wick commemorating the 1904 Viennese Brewery Exhibition held in Munich.
Pauson "Oval" showing copyright.
Impressed mark, showing copyright.
Ink stamp on porcelain stein.
Ink stamp, in black, on stoneware stein.
Ink stamp, in red, on stoneware stein.
Another ink stamp, in red, on stoneware stein celebrating the seventh Deutsche Turnerfest, 1889.
Base mark on Martin Pauson plate.
"Bürgerliches Brauhaus München, 1654
Münchener Bürger - Brau".
Pewterer's cast mark on the underside of the
lid of the Münchener Bürger - Brau stein above.
Cast mark on another Münchener Bürgerbräu stein lid.
The Schumann Arzberg mark dates this small dish to 1960 - 1970. Fritz Haertle had Neuhauserstraße 9 rebuilt after bomb damage in WW II and moved to Neuhauserstraße 15 after 1997.
N.B. Address. Neuhauser Straße 9. ink stamps (dated 1947 - 1973) on plate base denoting supplier is Heinrich & Co. whilst Fritz Haertle is the vendor. This address would not have been Martin Pauson's grandiose premises which were destroyed in WWII, but a post war concrete and glass replacement, roughly on the same site.
Advert from the "Festschrift für das VII. Deutsche Turnfest", München 1889.Click to enlarge. N.B. Close enlargement PRIOR to opening another picture!
"Frauenkirche Tower" #126, as shown in the advert above, available in 1/2 litre and 1.0 litre formats.
Handwritten mark on the featured #126 stein,
maker probably C.G. Schierholz of Plau.
The painter had obviously just enjoyed a good lunch!
Handwritten mark on the "Frauenkirche Tower"
#126 stein, maker probably C.G. Schierholz of Plau.
Beiblatt der Fliegenden Blätter, Nr. 2371, Erstes Blatt, 94. Band (94th volume)
München, den 4. January 1894.
Translation: Silver white Fine pewter = Beer steins
Heartily recommended by Dr. W. Schultze.
Recommended price each:
1/2 litre 7.50 Marks, 0.30 litre 6.00 Marks.
Foremost Munich Beer Stein Manufactory
Martin Pauson, Munich
Guaranteed Lead free in splendid finish
Martin Pauson mark on a C.G. Schierholz stein
Marzi & Remy #5349 Artillery shell stein, dated 1914.
Basemarks on Marzi & Remy #5349
Artillery shell stein, dated 1914.
Impressed mark, showing copyright on possible
Marzi & Remy stein, dated 1918/19
Hacker Braeu München, est. 1417, pewter lid on Merkelbach & Wick brewery stein, circa 1910.
Impressed mark, showing "Bierkrugfabrik" mark.
On unknown beerstein #6142, dated 1908
Underside of Hacker Brau pewter lid,
"Darf nur zum Ausschank von Münchener
Hacker-Bräu-Bier verwendet werden.
Marked under the handle of a 1 litre stein with the crests of Munich breweries around the base: Augustinerbräu, Bürgerbräu, Unionsbräu, Franziskanerleistbräu, Loewenbräu, Pschorrbräu, Spatenbräu, Thomasbräu.
M. Pauson. München, mark behind the handle of a Münchener Kindle stein.
Unique painted marks on the handle as shown, with three separate verticals is considered to be positive marking for a Martin Pauson piece.
Paper label celebrating the 50th anniversary of the business of Martin Pauson.
Another 50th anniversary mark.