Grosse Mandelgasse (now Grosse Mantelgasse)14, St. Annagasse (now St-Anna-Gasse) 3, Kettengasse 7, Hauptstraße 173 & 168,
Heidelberg. Baden. (now Baden-Württemberg)
Gold- und Silberarbeiter, Goldschmiedmeister und Juwelier / Gold and silversmith, Master Goldsmith and jeweller
Louis (or Ludwig) Seelig was first recorded as a goldsmith in 1881, working out of Grosse Mandelgasse (now Grosse Mantelgasse) 14. His first trade entry was in 1883 with a jeweller's shop at St. Annagasse (now St-Anna-Gasse) 3. By 1884/5 he was working in both gold and silver and had moved to Kettengasse 7. In 1886 he moved to the more prestigeous Hauptstraße 173, a three story building he initially rented, but then purchased in 1888, from Heinrich Fricker, a merchant based in Ludwigshafen. In 1887, he increased his business by becoming the official Heidelberg valuer until 1891. In 1900 he purchased a four storey building at Hauptstraße 168, belonging to Louis & Albert Meder, both of Berlin. The business was then moved here in 1901 and flourished. Around 1908, Hauptstraße 173 was sold, to become initially a tobacconist and then a butcher's shop. Louis became a Master Goldsmith, circa 1924, but had retired by 1928. He died in 1934, but his widow retained ownership and lived at No.168, until at least 1943.
Karl & Karl-Heinz Seelig
Karl Seelig - Goldarbeiter / Goldsmith --- Karl-Heinz Seelig - Graveur und Uhrmacher / Engraver and watchmaker
Louis probably had two sons, the first named Karl and the second named Karl-Heinz. Whilst their business was occasionally linked with their father's, I am treating them separately on this page. Karl was first recorded independently as a goldsmith in 1902 with a workshop at Sandgasse 7. He lived at Haspelgasse 4, but by 1903 had moved his belongings into his father's now empty Hauptstraße 173. He moved out for a short while to St. Annagasse 5, but by 1905 was back at Hauptstraße 173. Again he moved out in 1906 to Fahrtgasse 13. Karl then disappeared from the Heidelberg directories until 1920, presumably to make his fortune elsewhere. In 1920 he turned up living at Schlierbacher Wolfsbrunnenweg 9, just east of Heidelberg. Presumably he worked with his father until he purchased Neckarmünzgasse 2 in 1922 and set up by himself again as a goldsmith. Again he was not listed in the 1924/5 Heidelberg address book, but was listed again in 1926. When in 1928 his father retired, the second son, Karl-Heinz who listed himself as an engraver and watchmaker, joined his brother, and moved the business to Hauptstraße 168, where they operated as a partnership until Karl died in 1935. Karl's widow, Elise ran a souvenir stall from 1938 at Heiliggeistkirche 7, adjacent to Hauptstraße 189, and also was the owner of Neckarmünzgasse 2, both until at least 1943. Karl-Heinz does not appear again in the records.
Purchased stein bodies from: Villeroy & Boch - Mettlach
Reference: Heidelberger Adressbücher