Karl Schüssel's Porzellan-Magazin
Kaufingergaße / Kaufingerstraße 9, - Schüsselbazar / Passage Schüssel, Munich. Bavaria.
Porzellan-Magazin. / Porcelain Store
Known dates: c.1874 - 1920's
The company was founded by Elias Michael Schüssel. Eduard Rau his son-in law (married to Amélie Schüssel) ran the Theresienthaler Cristallglasfabrik Niederlage from one of the stores in the Schüsselbazar, which had been built by 1874. The son of Elias Michael, Karl Snr. also ran one of the stores in Passage Schüssel. Elias Michael Schüssel purchased the Nymphenburger Niederlage, and later connected Kaufingersgaße (now Kaufingerstraße) to Fürstenfeldergaße, (now Fürstenfelder Straße), in the area of the old city gate known as the Kaufingertor. The resulting alley was called Passage Schüssel, in which were two glass roofed yards. These were destroyed in 1944. The name Kaufingertor was resurrected in May 1994, as a glass roofed shopping mall a short distance away. He had the pewterer Brüder Thannhauser as a next door neighbour from whom he purchased Reinhold Merkelbach, Marzi & Remy stein bodies with the pewter already installed.
Reference: Uni-Heidelberg Uni-Muenchen Adressbuch München 1874