Majolikafabrik W. Schiller (& Sohn)
Obergrund, Bohemia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now called Hornķ ˇleb) nr. Bodenbach, Bohemia, Austro-Hungarian Empire (now called Podmokly), Czech Republic.
Hersteller / Manufacturer
Prior to running his own factory, Wilhelm Leberecht Schiller (born 1797) was in partnership from 1829 with Friedrich V. M. Gerbing in a pottery in Bodenbach. Gerbing died in 1848 and his widow Karoline, an excellent business woman, took on the partnership. Schiller could not work with Karoline and left in 1850 to start his own factory, in Obergrund, just two miles down the river Elbe, specialising in majolica and terracotta items. Eventually, his son Eduard became a partner, and when Wilhelm died, Eduard became the sole owner.
The factory was closed by the Schiller family, at the beginning of WWI, due to lack of available labour. It was not reopened after the war's end.
Reference: Porcelain Marks & More Porcelain Marks and More 2