Albert Jacob Thewalt
Gartenstraße 20, Höhr, Hesse-Nassau, Prussia. (now Höhr-Grenzhausen, Rhineland Palatinate).
Steinzeugfabrik / Stoneware manufacturer.
Albert Jacob Thewalt (b.5th August 1857 - d.29th November 1939) co-founded in around 1882 Paulus & Thewalt with Jean Paulus, who became his brother in law in 1883.
He left this partnership on the 1st July 1894 to start his own company..
Wilhelm Kamp designed the first stein in 1897.
Succeeded by son, Albert Johann (b.16th December 1884 - d.19th March 1957) and then grandson, Albert Jakob (b.6th August 1926).
Stein production finally ceased on 31st October 2009. However in January 2011, the right to manufacture, using certain selected Thewalt moulds, was sold to King-Werk.
These steins are being produced, using the traditional methods and materials in limited editions of 2500 and are marked "Thewalt 1893" & "Made in Germany".
The product range will be revised and refreshed each year.
The following designers either designed the pottery for Albert Jacob Thewalt, or put their decoration on standard pieces.
Anton Kilian "Karl" Beuler Cesare Cardinale Peter Dümler Wilhelm Kamp Franz Ringer
References: Stein Collectors Character Steins Capacity Marks Twisted Vine Handles Westerwald Adressbuch