C.G. Schierholz (& Sohn) / V.E.B. Porzellan Manufaktur Plaue / Von Schierholz Porzellan Manufaktur Plaue G.m.b.H.
Hersteller / Manufacturer.
The Heuäcker Brothers founded the company in 1816. Christian Gottfried Schierholz first became a partner when one brother died and then took over ownership of the company at the demise of the second brother in 1818. They pioneered the production of lithophanes in 1849. Christian's sons, Julius & Hugo, took over the management, upon the death of their father in 1851. When Hugo Schierholz died in 1860, his widow Julie & brother Julius, continued control. Up until then, the factory had produced mainly industrial and ordinary domestic porcelain, but after March 1865, they produced only decorative porcelain; e.g. figurines, vases and candlesticks etc. In 1877 the next generation, Max (son of Julius) and Arthur (son of Hugo) took over, however by 1887 Max had left, leaving Arthur with sole ownership. The modeller, Edmund Haase joined the company on 1st April 1884 and by 1900 had created the range of character steins we know today. In 1899 upon the death of Arthur, the business became a public limited company, changing its name to Von Schierholz Porzellan Manufaktur Plaue G.m.b.H. It was then nationalised in 1972 to become VEB Porzellan Manufaktur Plaue. During 1986 to 1990, a limited range of character steins was manufactured for Rastal GmbH & Co. KG. Upon German re-unification in 1990, the company's name reverted back to Von Schierholz Porzellan Manufaktur Plaue G.m.b.H. at which time the range of character steins were again produced, using mainly original moulds, under the von Schierholz name. Since 1995 it has been part of the Königlich privilegierte Porzellanmanufaktur Tettau G.m.b.H.
Steins were manufactured during: Late 1890's-1906 & 1986-1995.
Reference: Stein Collectors Edmund Haase Oskar Sieder Ardalt Character Steins Porzellanmanufactur Plaue Character Steins Catalogues