Mönchweilerstraße 1, Villingen, Baden. (now Villingen-Schwenningen, Baden-Württemberg.)
Kunst-Töpferei / Art Pottery.
He produced luxury goods, in earthenware of all kinds, Old German exhibition pieces and Old German and modern earthenware ovens fully decorated.
Villingen & Schwenningen were two separate towns until 1972, when they joined with several outlying villages to form the city of Villingen-Schwenningen.
The area was notable for the number of clock factories.
Johann Glatz commenced manufacturing in 1870. Situated in the Black Forest, he produced "Hafnerware" a type of Majolica. This he exhibited in 1893 in Chicago. Throughout the active life of the pottery he employed just ten people. Production continued through to his death in 1915. The company was wound up in 1916. Much of his Majolica range was designed by Professor Keller-Leuzinger, who brought the methods of production from Switzerland. `
References: Villingen-Schwenningen Slub-Dresden (Pg.22) Uni-Heidelberg 1 Uni-Heidelberg 2 Uni-Heidelberg 3 (Pgs.30-32) Uni-Heidelberg 4
Ceramic stove fitted in the Villingen-Schwenningen town hall.as per the colour photo seen below
Colour image of ceramic stove fitted in the Villingen-Schwenningen town hall.,
Glatz #250. 500th Anniversary of the founding of Heidelberg University, hence dated 1886. The frieze around the stein, denotes Theology, Philosophy, Law and Medicine.
Basemark on featured stein above, dated 1883 onward.
Glatz #No? dated presumably before 1883.
Johann Evangelist Glatz
Glatz #124. Front View
Glatz #124. Handle View
Basemark on featured stein #124, above. Published in the Chemiker Zeitung, dated 1st February 1883.( Click to enlarge.)
Translation: Registered as trade mark No. O.Z.2, (shown right) to the company of Johann Glatz in Villingen, after registration on the 3 Jan 1883, 9.45am, using the adjacent characters for majolica vessels.
Impressed mark on the base of the featured serving jug shown left.
Art Pottery of Johann Glatz, designed and built 1905 / 1906 by Johann's nephew, Theodor Glatz.The plans of which can be seen here.
Side view of the dispensing jug above showing the Brewer's Guild mark.
Basemarks on the Brewer's Guild jug above, dated presumably before 1883.
A rare coloured maker's mark, featuring the "Drei Tannen" or the Three Fir Trees, dated 1883 onward.