(Porzellanfabrik) Ph. Rosenthal & Co. (AG) / Rosenthal (Glas &) Porzellan AG / Rosenthal AG / Rosenthal GmbH
Werl, North Rhine-Westphalia, Schloss Erkersreuth, near Selb. Then Selb. Bavaria.
Retail outlet: Theaterinstrasse 8, Munich, Bavaria
Hersteller / Manufacturer.
Philipp Rosenthal & Co. was founded by Philipp Rosenthal (b.6th March 1855 in Werl) in 1879 as a porcelain decorating shop. The company originated in Werl, but quickly rented premises at Schloss Erkersreuth, then just outside Selb, to be close to their porcelain supplier, Lorenz Hutschenreuther. However in 1889 he had purpose built, a porcelain factory in the town of Selb, which produced his first porcelain in 1891. The company became an Aktiengesellschaft in 1897 and was re-named "Ph. Rosenthal & Co. AG". The company continued to grow through acquisition. These companies included Krister Porzellan Manufaktur in 1921, Porzellanfabrik Waldershof A.G.in 1936 and the Lorenz Hutschenreuther factory in Selb in 1998. Philipp died in Bonn, on 30th March 1937. In 1939 the name was changed to ""Rosenthal Porzellan AG", in 1965 to "Rosenthal Glas & Porzellan AG" and in 1969 shortened to "Rosenthal AG". His son Philip (b.23rd October 1916 - d.27th September 2001) reclaimed the company after WWII and then joined the design department in 1950, eventually becoming C.E.O in 1982. The company was sold to Waterford Wedgwood in 1997, who became insolvent in 2008. Rosenthal called in the receivers on the 9th January 2009, and were purchased by the Italian Sambonet Paderno Industrie S.p.A , who re-launched the company as "Rosenthal GmbH".
References: Rosenthal Rosenthal 2 Wikipedia