Black, Starr & Frost Silver Co. / Black Starr Frost & Gorham / Black Starr & Gorham
28th Street, then 251, 5th Avenue, New York City. United States.
Silberschmied / Silversmiths
Black, Star and Frost traces its roots back to 1810. In that year, Frederick Marquand opened Marquand & Co near New York's Maiden Lane. The firm added and lost partners numerous times; it also frequently moved locations, depending on the whereabouts of its prestigious clientele. In 1851 it became Ball Black & Co. In 1876, the firm then reformed as Black, Starr, & Frost, and moved to 251 Fifth Avenue. They merged with Gorham Silver Co. in 1929 to become Black, Starr & Frost & Gorham and subsequently Black Starr & Gorham, which lasted from 1940 though to 1962. Still trades to the current day, but now in Costa Mesa, California U.S.
References: BlackStarrFrost Silver Collection Lang Antiques Gorham Manufacturing Co. Silver Collecting