Werkstätten für Keramik-Malerei G. Wieninger Snr.
Lindwurmstraße 93, Aberlestraße 16, Sendling, Munich. Bavaria.
Keramischer Malerei und Zinngießerei / Painters of ceramics and pewterer.
The company was a Mitglied des Verbandes Keramischer Malereien. (Member of the Federation of Ceramic Painting).
The following are thought to be home addresses. The years mentioned are when the streets were built or renamed: ● Gustav Wieninger Sen. at Tumblingerstraße 19
& then after 1890, Oberländerstraße 12 ● Gustav Wieninger Jun. after 1886 Daiserstraße 13 ● Karl Wieninger at Lindwurmstraße 93, after 1878.
The workshop was at Lindwurmstraße 93, up until 1904, and then moved to Aberlestraße 16, in 1904/5, where it remained until at least 1957.
The business of Kaspar Reischenböch was purchased on the 21st May 1910, by Gustav Wieninger Jun. and transferred to Aberlestraße 16,
Founded in 1828. It was thought they had finally closed circa 1999. However in July 1999, a new workshop at Am Lehwinkel 1, was opened by
Gabriele Wieninger, the great granddaughter of Gustav Snr. in the business of glass and porcelain painting & ceramic screen printing.
Purchased steins from: Merkelbach & Wick, Wick-Werke and with designs from Ludwig Holwein
Reference: Munich street names Fotokeramik
Adressbuch München 1874
1/2 Litre transfer painted stein, dated 1930, with the Bavarian motto, "Pfüat Di Hiasl", used in this context as, "Goodbye Hiasl". An example of this stein exhibited at the Münchner Stadtmuseum resulted in publication of "Ludwig Hohlwein, Kunstgewerbe und Reklamekunst". Catalogue item #71 on page 98 is the Krug in question, has the photo caption, which reads "71. Seidel "Pfüat Di Hiasl" (Französischer Soldat) 1930" The Versailles Treaty stipulated that the occupying military forces had to withdraw from the Bavarian Pfalz by 1935, although they actually withdrew in 1930. This stein is commemorating the bidding adieu to the French occupiers. Hiasl (the soldier shown above), is a nickname for Matthias, which should be interpreted as a reference to all the French occupiers.
Base mark of selling agent,
on featured stoneware stein above.
Signature of Ludwig Holwein on featured stoneware stein above.
Basemarks on a military mug, dedicated to the Panzerartilleriebataillon 35 (first mustered in 1962) and based at Dedelstorf. On the 1st October 1981, the battalion was renamed Panzerartilleriebataillon 335, which accurately dates this mark to between 1962 and the 1st Oct.1981. The Wick-Werke mark is correct for this period.
This ink stamp could be as late as 1999.
Could this be a 150th anniversary mark? 1978?