Nitsche & Schramm / Schramm W. vormals Nitsche & Schramm / Wilhelm Schramm
Pflegehofstraße, Tübingen am Neckar. Württemberg, (now Baden-Württemberg)
Manufaktur für Kunstgewerbe, Glas- und Porzellanmalerei / Manufacturer for arts and crafts, glass & porcelain decorators.
Founded in 1892 as Nitsche & Schramm, W. Schramm was the sole proprietor by 1894.
The company was renamed Wilhelm Schramm sometime after Xmas 1898 & before 1920 and traded as such, until the last recorded date of 1941.
Purchased steins from: Marzi & Remy Reinhold Merkelbach Villeroy & Boch - Mettlach Merkelbach & Wick
"Palatia sei's Panier". "Honor Virtus Amicitia". Marzi & Remy #1988, (centre) dated June 1919.
"Saxonia sei's panier" This lid is mounted on a typical Tübingen hedgehog glass stein.
The underside of the immediately above lid, dedicated for Xmas 1898.
W. Schramm of Tübingen ink-stamp c/w impressed Merkelbach & Wick dated, sometime from Xmas 1898 to 1920.
"Palatia sei's Panier". "Honor Virtus Amicitia". Marzi & Remy #1988, dated June 1919.
Typical Tübingen hedgehog stein, used for student steins, glass maker unknown.
Moulded base mark of the featured Tübingen hedgehog glass stein, specifically made for W. Schramm.
"Palatia sei's Panier". "Honor Virtus Amicitia". Marzi & Remy #1988, dated June 1919. (Centre)
This lid insert from featured glass stein shows the Wappen of the "Turnerschaft Hohenstaufia zu Tübingen", which was founded on 10/12/1878 as a loose fraternity, named "Gothland". On 24/4/1879 they adopted the colours of white-red-darkgreen, together with the motto "Virtus, Libertas, Humanitas" which when translated, means "Tugend, Freiheit, Menschlichkeit" or "Virtue, Liberty, Humanity". On the 1/2/1880 the fraternity adopted the new name of Hohenstaufia, together with the motto: "Unita virtus valet" which again translated, means "Vereinte Tugend macht stark" or "Virtue united, prevails", and with the colours of green-white-red. References: Turnerschaft Hohenstaufia
The underside of the stein lid insert on the featured glass stein, shows, "Turnerschaft Hohenstaufia zu Tübingen", with the signature of W.Schramm, dated Christmas 1933.