Merkelbach & Wick.
Head Office: Bahnstraße 9, which was renamed Westerwaldstraße 9, Grenzhausen, Hesse-Nassau, Prussia. (now Höhr-Grenzhausen, Rhineland Palatinate).
Steingut- und Steinzeugfabrik, Kunsttöpferei sowie Zinngiesserei / Earthenware & stoneware art pottery as well as pewterer.
Founded in 1872 by Friedrich Wilhelm Merkelbach II (b.1840 - d.1896) & Sculptor & Modeller, (Johann) Georg Peter Wick (b.1837 - d.1914). They became the first company to produce ivory stoneware (Elfenbeinsteinzeug) in 1882/3. This proved very popular in North America and by 1890, more than half of their production was exported to that part of the world. They were also a significant supplier to Hauber & Reuther supplying them with their ivory stoneware requirements between 1886 - 1897. In 1902 & 1903, changing fashions required them to concentrate on their Jugendstil range, so Peter Behrens, Albin Müller and Henry van de Velde were recruited to produce new designs. They employed approximately 50 employees around this time. (Johann) Georg Peter Wick's son, (Konrad) Ludwig, joined the company in 1895 and presumably took over joint ownership with his father, upon the death of his father-in-law Friedrich Wilhelm Merkelbach II. (Konrad) Ludwig Wick transferred all his liabilities as a partner in the company to his wife Emma in 1911. In 1920 they merged Merkelbach, Stadelmann & Co*, together with Merkelbach & Wick, to form Wick-Werke, Vereinigte Fabriken Merkelbach & Wick u. Merkelbach, Stadelmann & Co.
*Merkelbach, Stadelmann & Co. Gartenstraße 3, Grenzhausen, was founded by Friedrich Wilhelm Merkelbach II, Theodor Stadelmann and Julius Schröder, around 1867 - 1872, solely as a manufacturer of grindstones and whetstones. By 1910 the company was owned by (Konrad) Ludwig Wick, but in 1912 was transferred to his wife, Emma
The following designers either designed the pottery for Merkelbach & Wick, or put their decoration on standard pieces.