Hannes & Wieninger
Schommergasse 1a, Lerchenstraße 12, Schwanthalerstraße 13, Singstraße 16, Heustraße 2, Schützenstraße 10, Dachauerstraße 68, Luitpoldstraße 11, then Landwehrstraße 38, Munich. Bavaria.
Porzellanmalerei / Porcelain decorating shop.
The company was founded in 1840, as a porcelain decorating shop by Joseph Hannes (porcelain decorator) & Anton Wieninger (lithographer / decorator). In 1845 they were at Schommergasse 1a, 3rd floor (renamed Adolf-Kolping-Straße in 1946), then in 1850, were located at Lerchenstraße 12, 3rd floor.
On the 29th May 1852, they obtained a Gewerbeprivileg (business privilege) from Maximilian II of Bavaria which gave them, in their case, a 10 year monopoly for their invention of lithographically printing with both coloured and gold paint onto porcelain, and allowed them to use the title of Königlich Bayerische Priviligirte / Privilegirte Porzellan-Malerei / Anstalt. Their invention received high praise from many quarters at the 1854 Industrial Exhibition in Munich, which resulted in Hannes & Wieninger being awarded a coin of honour. During this ten year period, they were approached by the Imperial and Royal Porcelain Factory, Vienna, (1718 - 1864), known more commonly as "Royal Vienna", for the possibility of a license to use their process to produce a 6000 piece dinner service for the Emperor Franz Joseph. This was the largest order for porcelain ever placed by the Imperial Household. Hannes and Wieninger were involved in lengthy negotiations, however, Royal Vienna's chief chemist, Franz Kosch, was tasked to develop their own process which delivered the quality they required, which he achieved some months later. After 1862, Franz Kosch went on to develop the lithographic transfer of photographs onto porcelain.
Meanwhile by 1856 they had both located to Schwanthalerstraße 13, with Hannes occupying the 3rd floor and Wieninger, the ground floor. Advertising in the
Zeitschrift des landwirt(h)schaftlichen Vereins in Bayern, (Journal of the Agricultural Association of Bavaria) in March 1856, on page 114, they offered a range of "indestructible" lithographed porcelain plaques, with specific plant names, designed to be staked out for the purpose of identifying garden plants.
Wieninger moved by himself to Singstraße 16, 3rd floor, in 1860 (now part of Schillerstraße), and again in 1861 to Heustraße 2, ground floor (renamed Paul-Heyse-Straße). They both joined up again in 1863, occupying Schützenstraße 10, 1st floor until and including 1870, after which time they both moved to Dachauerstraße 68, 1st floor. Sometime after 1872 the business moved to Luitpoldstraße 11. Anton Schlederer was the proprietor between c.1894 to 1930, and between 1st Nov. 1902 to 1st Nov. 1903, the business moved to Landwehrstraße 38. In 1904, Anton Schlederer applied for and was awarded the title of Königlich Bayerischer Hof-Porzellan-Maler / Porcelain Decorator to the Royal Bavarian Court, from Luitpold, Prince Regent of Bavaria. This title, given only to the company head, and not the company, could be displayed prior to the company name and Schlederer did so in his company base mark of 1904 onwards, using the word, Malerei / Decorators. This award was more prestigious than the normal "Hoflieferant" and cost the recipient 200 marks, as opposed to 150 Marks for Hoflieferant. The company was liquidated in 1932.
The reference below gives an example of a Hoflieferant certificate, in this case a Master Shoe Maker.
They purchased steins from Merkelbach & Wick, Marzi & Remy, Villeroy & Boch - Mettlach.
References: Hoflieferant Bavarica 1 BSB1 BSB2 BSB3 BSB4 BSB5 BSB6