Süddeutsche Glasmanufaktur - Theodor Wieseler / Wieseler & Beeri / Wieseler & Mahler
Brunnengaße 22, Karolinenstraße 27, Kaiserstraße 4 & 18, König(s)straße 20, Nuremberg. Also Leipzigerstraße 64, Berlin & Erlangen, Bavaria.
Einrichtungs Magazin. / Department store
Königlich Bayerischer Hoflieferant. / Supplier to the Royal Bavarian Court
The entrance to the main shop has been at No. 27, Karolinenstraße since 1908, but before then, the entrance
was at what is now the rear of the shop, at No. 22 Brunnengaße, since those streets run parallel to each other.
Theodor Wieseler Snr. was born on 18th January 1859 in Langendorf, in the district of Bad Kissingen and died on 11th December 1924 in Nuremberg. Between 1880 and 1882 he was a representative for F.W. Auerbach in Magdeburg. He joined the Bavarian army for one year, after which he became a representative, covering Bavaria, Baden & Württemberg for C. W. Scheffler of Leipzig, a glass wholesaler. In 1885 he opened a new branch of C. W. Scheffler Niederlage, situated in Köhnstraße, Nuremberg. At the beginning of 1886 he purchased a property in Schoppershofstraße, moved the business and changed its name to Süddeutsche Glasmanufaktur - Theodor Wieseler.
In 1889/90, Julius Beeri became a partner for four or five years, with a new company Wieseler and Beeri. He was known to have signed a contract on behalf of Wieseler & Beeri - C.W. Scheffler in 1891. After 1894 he disappeared from the company records and by 1899 had disappeared from Nuremberg address books. In 1894, Kaiserstraße 18, was purchased as a glass decoration studio. Kaiserstraße 4, was used as a porcelain decoration studio.
In 1901, Ernst Mahler, the brother in law of Theodor Wieseler Snr. became both a partner in Süddeutsche Glasmanufaktur - Theodor Wieseler, together with a new company called Wieseler & Mahler. Meanwhile, in the same year, Theodor Snr. also co--founded and became a director of the "Nurnberger Bund" which is a purchasing and marketing co-operative, now based in Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia. Theodor Wieseler Jnr. joined the company in 1912, but was after a short while, required to do national service and again then conscripted into the army in 1914. Hans Kösters was brought in as general manager in 1915. Theodore Jnr. rejoined the company in 1919, and Hans Kösters was made a partner upon the death of Theodor Snr. Wieseler & Mahler also had a branch called "Der bunte Laden" at König(s)straße 20 from circa 1939. Also they opened a branch in Erlangen, post war which was open until the early 1990's. Since the 1st October 1998, the company has been owned by W.M.F. Württembergische MetallwarenFabrik, and has been officially called
W.M.F. Fachgeschäft Wieseler & Mahler A.G., but as can be seen below, as of 2009 the shop still had the Wieseler & Mahler sign on the front of Karolinenstraße 27.
The following designers either designed the pottery for Theodor Wieseler, or put their decoration on standard pieces: Carl Moos
Purchased Steins from: Diesinger S.P.Gerz I, Matthias Girmscheid, Hauber & Reuther, Marzi & Remy, Merkelbach & Wick Porzellanfabrik Utzschneider et Cie - Sarreguemines Porzellanfabrik AL-KA Kunst Alboth & Kaiser