Wiedamann (A.F.W / J.J.W / E.F.W. / F.E.W. / R.E.W.) Regensburg
Brückstraße 4, Regensburg, Bavaria.
Zinngießermeister / Master pewterer
Adam-Friedrich Wiedamann (b.1791-d.1860), became a Pewterer and thus founded the Wiedamann Pewter Foundry, which existed until 1975. Adam Friedrich Wiedamann was trained by his brother-in-law Christian Gottlieb Weschke, who was married to his eldest sister. The Wechke Pewter Foundry had already existed in Regensburg for nearly a 100 years. In 1821 Adam Friedrich bought a house at Watmarkt in Regensburg, where he set up his business. In that year he also became a regular citizen of Regensburg and took his Master's examination. There were already ten Pewterers in Regensburg at that time but he was still able to expand his business. After his death, the business passed to his eldest son, Jakob Johann Wiedamann (b.1829-d.1896), who had also passed the Pewter Master's examination. Under his ownership, the company flourished, aided by motorised lathes in the foundry. His wife ran the shop at Watmarkt with an extensive range of glass and porcelain goods. In 1874 suffering from ill health he handed over the company to his brother, (E.F) Eugen Friedrich Wiedamann (b.1835-d.1907), who had become a Master Pewterer in 1866, and in 1880 moved the workshop and shop to Brückstraße, where he had converted the former inn "Zum wilden Mann". In 1902, his eldest son Friedrich Eugen Wiedamann (b.1873-d.1954) took over the company. He too, was a master pewterer and engraver. During his time, the business premises were expanded, so that the house extended from the Brückstraße to the Posthorngässchen 1 behind it to accommodate a larger workshop. The son of Friedrich Eugen Wiedamann, Richard Eugen Wiedamann (b.1905-d.1996), took over the business in 1936, and was also a pewterer and engraver and created many completely new artistic forms in pewter. His son, called Richard Eugen Ernst (b.1932-d.2011) had quite different interests, namely music. He was a well-known pianist, composer and music school director. He was also the founder of the Bavarian Jazz Weekend and the Bavarian Jazz Institute. The pewter foundry was sold in 1975 to the workshop manager Heinrich Rappl. The shop has always been run by the women of the family and this is passing to the next generations. The widow of Richard Wiedamann and her daughter continue to run the business to this day. When Heinrich Rappl purchased the foundry equipment in 1975 he continued the pewter business under the name of Zinngießerei Rappl, which is now located in Lappersdorf-Kaulhausen, a northern suburb of Regensburg. Some art nouveau designers were mentioned in the 1915 catalogue: Chr. Metzger for some household wares, together with Iwan Seligmann and Friedrich Adler, for modern style Judaica. Exported to Black Starr & Gorham of New York, United States, presumably between 1940 & 1962.
Purchased stein bodies from: August Saeltzer Reinhold Merkelbach Marzi & Remy Zinkl Thenn & Co.
References: Wiedamann Rappl Haus Wiedamann Richard Wiedamann
Uni-Heidelberg Regensburg Address books. Wikipedia